Sunday, September 25, 2016

Stocking Up


So my husband and I did our annual "meat trip" to Sam's Club today.  We have a deep freezer, and usually once a year we fill it up with meat that generally lasts six months to a year.  I have a vacuum sealer, so I can buy in bulk and break things down and package it in smaller packages and freeze it.  It's a chore, but it's totally worth it in the end.  I think we bought somewhere around 130 pounds of beef, pork, chicken, shrimp, bacon, sausage and more.  It's a lot of fun and feels good to open the deep freezer and see all the stockpiling.

I've been a little lax on posting lately, mostly because of lack of time and job constraints.  We've had some turnover at work that has left me and the boss man a little strapped.  I'm not complaining at all.  The people that have left/been fired needed to go and I don't mind extra work to avoid stress and drama.

But I have been cooking, and I'm still trying to focus on quick and easy.  I have a lot of crockpot meals planned for this week.  This recipe is slightly indulgent, but it's easy and fills hungry bellies.  This is Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole.  It's about a 10 to 15 minute prep dinner and then about a 30-40 minute bake time.  But the quick prep can be done early so that you can get other weekly stuff done while it bakes.  This recipe really turned out great, and we all loved it.  In fact, there was really only enough left for me to take to work the next day for leftovers.  It's kid and husband friendly too, which makes the cook the star for the night.  It's darn tasty, and I hope you enjoy it!

BACON CHEESEBURGER TATER TOT CASSEROLE
1/2 lb bacon
1 lb ground beef
Olive oil
1 onion, chopped
Salt & pepper, to taste
2 teaspoons garlic powder
One 10.75 ounce can cheddar cheese soup
1 1/2 C sour cream
2 C shredded Cheddar cheese
About 48 tater tots

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.  Cook the bacon until crisp and drain and crumble it.  Meanwhile, drizzle a little olive oil into a skillet.  Cook the onion until mostly tender, about 5 minutes.  Add in the ground beef, salt & pepper, and garlic powder.  Cook and crumble the beef until it's done.  Drain if necessary.

Whisk together the soup and the sour cream.  Stir in the bacon and the ground beef.  Spread the meat mixture into a 2-quart casserole pan.  Spread the 2 C shredded Cheddar cheese over the meat mixture.  Lay out the tater tots over the top, trying to completely cover.  Bake the casserole uncovered for 30-40 minutes or until the tater tots are crisped up and warm through.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds amazing. I'm so glad I found your blog via Pinterest. You had me at Bacon and the Butter, Cheese and Garlic sealed the deal. Love your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Shanna! I'm so glad you found me too. Let me know what else you try and how it works out!

      Delete